Friday, February 6, 2009

Time to plant seeds



I remembered that I had most of my photos loaded on the Costco site and although I'm no longer a member I was able to retrieve some of my old photos. Here is the greenhouse Johnnie built last year. It was actually an aluminum kit from Harbor Freight but when we opened it up it had so many screws and other parts that Johnnie decided just to use the panels from the kit and build it out of wood instead. It turned out really nice. It is 10x12'. Harbor freight has really good prices for greenhouses in case you are looking for one.
It is getting to be that time of year to start the spring seedlings. Johnnie started planting flats of seeds yesterday. He planted some crook neck and some zucchini seed. We plan on planting tomatoes of course - not sure how many varieties this year, cucumber, may be spaceship squash, a bunch of winter squash: acorn, butternut, spaghetti and beans of course. Last year we harvested 12.5 beans and that is after they were shelled and dried.
Johnnie always wants to plant watermelon but I don't think it does very well and it takes a lot of watering and since we will probably be on water rationing this year I would prefer not to plant it.
I ordered a bunch of herb seed from Seeds of Change with the gift certificate I got for Christmas (along with a soil ph meter). I want to plant a beautiful herb garden this year - maybe in a circular pattern.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen herb gardens done in a circular pattern. I have some iron wagon wheels put back just for the purpose of edging a couple of my own.

    ReplyDelete